Friday 14 October 2011

Mission 3 - Me Vs Miss Newton

Recently a friend set me up with a friend to go on at date. I was told, with confidence, that we had a lot in common so I naturally assumed she would be sarcastic, patronising and contentious. I was wrong, she was clumsy, chipper and bubbly (Note: anyone that describes their personality as ‘bubbly’ just means 'loud and stupid')

Having spent a good part of the morning walking around Borough market snacking on the delights on offer, we walked towards the Tate Modern. This was meant to be the 'thing we have in common'. Although, I never really liked modern art, I just don't get it but I assumed this girl thought it was brilliant so we went and I was even pretending to be interested.

But, things were about to take a turn for the worse because as we got to the river she looked out over the water and looked amazed. Now, looking out over the Thames in the right light can look amazing, but this was something else.

“Everything alright?” I asked
“They put it back!” She exclaimed excitedly
“Put what back?”
“The Water, they put it back, last time I was here it was almost empty. I am so happy they put it back, it looks loads better”
“Are you serious?” I was very concerned by this time
“Yeah, did you not see it? It looked weird”
“What? No! No one put the water back. The Thames is tidal.”
“Really? Like the Sea? So is that like once a year or month or something?”
“No. Twice a day.”
“Shut up! Really? Does all the water go? Why’s that?”
“No, all the water does not go. It tidal. It’s occurs because of the gravitational pull of the moon" She looked completely lost, like no clue at all. I genuinely feared having to explain gravity. "You know what? I can actually feel myself getting stupider just having this conversation. The Tate is over there” I pointed “The station is over there” I pointed again. “And I am going home, see ya!”
 

And with that, I left. 

On my walk home I thought that maybe I had been a little harsh, wondered if I was too hasty and rude. Then I thought, if we stayed together I would find myself constantly explaining things. Simple things. Things that I have know for so long that I forgot when I learned them and assume I was born with the knowledge. She was the type of girl that would forget to breathe. 

I didn’t want to be responsible for that!

Mission Status: Success! Brain cells retained.  

5 comments:

  1. dude!!this is funny..I bet if you brought her to Kenya you'd have to explain to her why the water is far away in the morning at the coastal beach... thank God you left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha how old are you??? please be nice with dummy girls sometimes you end under them because they handle to marry your boss!!!! nice writting... love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, oh dear. I feel kind of sorry for her, but she did seem a bit of an idiot. Slightly harsh to walk away half way through though! Minus points for that. But in fairness, I can't tolerate fools either so I'd have probably done the same.

    The Single Girl xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buggering hell .. next time, keep this on your phone to help educate the lass (huzzah for Brian Cox): http://youtu.be/WGKgKayuC2M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarcastic, patronising & contentious? You sound like my ideal man...

    ReplyDelete